Happy Birthday Mr Lee


To my dearest Dad:

Thank you for the love that you have given to me, for the guidance, care, and discipline throughout my 24 years of life. I wouldn't say that I have been the greatest son one can ask form, but I do hope that I have brought color into your life, at the very least. You turn a year shy of 60 today, and I sometimes fail to remember that soon I will be the one looking after you and mum. Time really flies, as we all focus on our own lives and forget to cherish every moment that we are together.

I remember all the times that I misbehaved, and remembered the times that you caned me. At the end of the day, I have always believed in the phrase "spare the rod, spoil the child" because it was through your constant discipline that made me who I am today, and taught me certain values in life that I still uphold to this day. I remember how you have mentioned to your friends that you were strict when I was young, and just a glance from you could make me sit back down in my chair and stop playing the fool. Initially, I was embarrassed, but then again I remember that it it something to be proud of, that you are able to raise your kid well enough that they become fine people in today's society, an achievement that many can't really attain in this day and age.

I am thankful for advice shared, understanding in tough circumstances, and ultimately, support in goals. Many parents would give their children what they think is best for their children, but I believe that you gave me the best thing one could ever ask for: freedom. You gave me the choice to make my own mistakes, to learn it myself, because the only time you can actually wedge it into your system is when you learn to stand up by yourself. 

You turn another year older, another year wiser, but one thing I will always admire would be the inner child in you. It reminds me that although men grow old, they do not necessarily grow up. I like the fact that you make us laugh, and it's never about the minute things in life, but as long as there's money in your pocket and health in your body, it's about enjoying every moment to its fullest. I wish you a happy 59th birthday, though you look like you're in your late 40s (Just like how everyone here in Korea thinks I'm 19~21 when in fact I'm 25 by Korean age), and I wish you health and prosperity and the many more years to come. 

Happy Birthday! I cannot wait to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment